.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} -->

LoomisBoy

The personal journal of technology journalist and conference speaker Randall S. Newton.

View Randall Newton's profile on LinkedIn

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Two New Ways I Satisfy My Dark Chocolate Cravings

Most prepared chocolate bars and candies sold in America are pap. As far as I am concerned, milk ruins good chocolate (never mind that I'm allergic to dairy products). You have to look hard and pay a lot to get good stuff.

I'm a fiend for dark chocolate, and I am glad to report there is a new source. Cocoa Pete's (link requires Flash player) is a line of four products, created by the brewmaster behind Pete's Wicked Ale (also yummy stuff). I'm hooked on Berry Berry Delicious, which brings together pieces of freeze-dried strawberries and dark chocolate. My local upscale grocery store carries the Cocoa Pete's line, so you should be able to find them in better supermarkets.

While I'm on the subject of chocolate, I should share that I don't lack for hot cocoa just because I don't drink milk. I just mix powered cocoa, Splenda or white sugar with a little boiling water until the powders are completed mixed, then I fill the cup with more boiling water. In a typical coffee mug, I will put two heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder and three packets of Spenda (equivalent to a teaspoon of white sugar). It takes a minute or so of constant stirring to mix thoroughly. Stir again after adding water to fill the cup. Experiment and adjust the portions to your liking.

I don't know why I didn't think making dairy-free hot cocoa years ago; I've just started this year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could the two be linked?

> (never mind that I'm allergic to dairy products)

...and...

> As a youth, I took my turns milking the family cow.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.