.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} -->

LoomisBoy

The personal journal of technology journalist and conference speaker Randall S. Newton.

View Randall Newton's profile on LinkedIn

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Google Releases Web Accelerator

Today Google Labs released another interesting product for beta testing, a web accelerator. It tries to improve surfing by pre-fetching material, caching popular pages on Google's web servers, parallel downloading, and "differential fetching"--trying to determine only what has changed on a page.

I've just downloaded the Firefox version (requires 1.x) of the Google Web Accelerator. There's also a version for Internet Explorer.

John Battelle comments on it here; Search Engine Watch goes into more detail on its functions here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I've read, this service is meant for users with high-speed (DSL) links.

But if my link to the Internet is high-speed, why do I need Google to cache the pages for me?

I find most Web sites fast enough, partly because I use the Opera Web browser to open eight sites at once. I read one while the others are loading.

If a site's speed is painfully slow, then I'll use the cache on Google's search list. It's usually only the text I'm interested in.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.